A famous Ayurvedic medicinal herb, Holy Basil has been widely used in Southeast Asia for hundreds of years. Today, it is starting to be used more and more in Western medicine as people are discovering its impressive healing properties.
How Can You Benefit From Holy Basil Supplements?
Based on the numerous possible benefits of holy basil, it may be one of the most impressive herbs in the plant kingdom. Its usefulness in the realm of Ayurvedic medicine knows no bounds as the whole plant may be utilized for various human conditions. Some of the benefits you might get from holy basil supplements include:
- Helps abate stress and anxiety. Holy basil is well-known for its adaptogenic properties, which may help the human body cope when exposed to stressful environments. In a 2007 animal study, holy basil was found to contain ocimumosides and ocimarin, two compounds that have anti-stress properties.5
- Supports the immune system. Holy basil is thought to be especially useful for combating infections due to its powerful antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties. A 2011 study found that holy basil boosts the immune system by increasing cytokine and immune cell efficacy in mounting immune responses.6
- May be hepatoprotective. Holy basil may be able to inhibit toxin-induced damage in the liver because of its membrane-stabilizing properties. A 2011 animal study shows that holy basil may help reduce fatty changes and cloudy swelling in the liver.7
- Helps soothe painful conditions. According to a 2015 study, holy basil contains analgesic, anti-inflammatory and antipyretic properties. It may help alleviate arthritis and joint pain due to these characteristics.8
- May help reduce diabetes symptoms. Holy basil is noted to reduce diabetes symptoms by helping to control weight gain and cholesterol, and regulating excess insulin in the blood.9
“Help Stop Stress and Anxiety With Holy Basil” by Dr. Mercola