Just because it’s winter doesn’t mean you can’t start planning your future garden. Maybe you’re thinking, “How am I going to have my own green space in New York City?” All it really takes is a vision, some independent research, and an experienced landscape design professional.
Let’s begin by discussing some of the top garden design trends in 2019.
- Vibrant colors – The most beautiful outdoor living spaces are usually bursting with color. If you’re putting the time and energy into an urban garden, we recommend avoiding monochromatic colors as much as possible. Keep in mind that the brighter this area, the more likely you and everyone else will enjoy it.
- A blend of interior and exterior – You want your garden to feel like a seamless and natural extension of your home. If you just sort of throw things together and hope it looks good in the end, chances are you’re going to be disappointed. So take a step back and visualize how this space will be used. Every design is different, whether you’re hoping to add an outdoor kitchen for hosting parties or a water feature for a healing garden.
- Fruits, vegetables, and herbs – Nothing beats planting your own fruits and vegetables. Keep in mind that many of your favorites grow with beautiful flowers and decorative plants, creating lush greenery and colorful accents. At Amber Freda Landscape Design, we can also recommend herbs to be used for making teas or baths that can soothe and heal your mind and body.
- Healing gardens – How do you feel about having a garden that’s not only beautiful but also includes a soulful component? It’s no surprise why healing gardens continue to increase in popularity and especially in New York City. Think about it for a moment — listening to the sound of leaves rustling, appreciating the smell of flowers, or even just watching a butterfly make its way around the garden. If you’ve been yearning for a greater connection with Mother Nature, planting a healing garden is a great place to start.
- Custom lighting – You’ve taken a smart, proactive approach to planning your garden. Everything, including any custom features, is built out in a way that feels well-designed. But you could use one more thing to serve as that ideal finishing touch. Here at Amber Freda Landscape Design, we recommend looking into custom lighting solutions for your urban oasis. A combination of overhead globe lighting, floodlights, and fence lighting allows you to enjoy your garden day or night.
Now that you have a better idea of next year’s urban gardening trends, let’s zero in on those in our area. Here are some tips for installing a garden in NYC:
Not sure how you’re going to plant a garden in such a small space? Give yourself the most space possible by getting rid of any clutter. You can even limit the number of styles and finishes on features so the focus remains on the plants.
You want to take advantage of every inch of available space. At Amber Freda Landscape Design, we communicate with clients about the benefits of choosing several, larger pieces of furniture as opposed to many smaller ones. If you’re torn between two items, opt for comfort and functionality.
Understand your building requirements
It happens more than you think — someone installs an elaborate community or rooftop garden but is forced to take it all down because they didn’t clear with their building first. That’s why it’s important to know your basic building requirements ahead of time. Once you get the green light, you won’t have to worry about potential headaches down the road.
Figure out the utilities
Obviously, water and electricity are the most important for a garden. Are you planning to have a firepit or gas grill as well? In that case, a gas line is a must.
Hire a professional
Here’s the big one. Do you honestly have the time, energy, and knowledge to design and install an urban garden? If not, then it’s imperative to hire an experienced landscape design team.
Custom Landscaping Services
We pride ourselves on creating some of the most treasured green spaces on the planet. All it takes is one conversation with Amber to see her passion for bringing a client’s vision to life. Plus, in contrast to other landscaping companies, Amber oversees every step of the project from start to finish, answering any questions you may have.
For your convenience, we also offer ongoing maintenance of your garden in addition to design and installation. Don’t make the mistake of trusting just any contractor to handle your urban garden project. Turn to someone who values creativity, work ethic, transparency, and communication.
Contact our NYC landscaper today to schedule your initial consultation.